mariovaldez.net

MV.net forums
It is currently 14 Jul 2016, 00:44

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: PNG transparancy
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2003, 06:53 
I should have said this long ago but sometimes you just fix things and forget about them.

The HTC file that is used for PNG transparency always causes IE to crash. I must disable it everytime I install a new CMS version.

In 6beta9 you added it to both stylesheets & maybe hard-coded somewhere?? I had to change both stylesheets & eventually renamed the HTC file (<-- I had cleared the cache but it still happened) to stop the IE from crashing. I personally use Firebird so the only way I discover this is by testing testing testing before a release to the users.

I was wondering if you would consider disabling the PNG transparency support by default & just include instructions to those who want to try out the HTC. My reasoning is that many other users of the CMS will not have the time or ability to troubleshoot why browsers are crashing.

I will also look around & see if I can find some way of enabling the PNG trans that will not cause IE (garbage browser) to crash.

Best Regards,

Mark Coudriet :wink:

Report this post

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2003, 12:38 

Psymon:

> The HTC file that is used for PNG transparency always
> causes IE to crash. I must disable it everytime I install
> a new CMS version.

:oops: Yeah. Known bug explained in the FAQ page.

> In 6beta9 you added it to both stylesheets & maybe
> hard-coded somewhere??

:shock: No hardcoding.

> I had to change both stylesheets & eventually
> renamed the HTC file (<-- I had cleared the cache
> but it still happened) to stop the IE from crashing.

IE sometimes don't clean everything (even if you tell it to do it).

> I was wondering if you would consider disabling
> the PNG transparency support by default & just
> include instructions to those who want to try out
> the HTC. My reasoning is that many other users of
> the CMS will not have the time or ability to troubleshoot
> why browsers are crashing.

I've thought of it before, but nobody ever complained before. Actually the only user (from 50 usual testers with Windows workstations) who have ever reported this problem was myself. I added the entry in the FAQ page because it seemed such a catastrophic problem and I was affraid users could not find out why their browsers were crashing with the CMS module.

But I tell you, you are the first person to report this. I don't know if this is a common problem or not.

Anyway, your reasoning sounds good to me. But before disabling it by default, I need to edit some images, so they don't look so bad if the alpha transparency is disabled.

Also to note, I've tried to use index-based transparency, but the default CMS icons look pretty bad after converting them.

> I will also look around & see if I can find some way
> of enabling the PNG trans that will not cause IE
> (garbage browser) to crash.

If you find something, Mark, let me know... I've been searching for the last two years. :wink:

Regards,

Mario A. Valdez-Ramirez.

Report this post
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]